Self-Designed Area of Focus
The BIPS program was designed to offer a flexible path to graduation. Students come to the program with a variety of interests and educational backgrounds, and we realize that the four areas of focus might not offer the best fit for everyone. That’s why you have the option to propose your own area of focus with courses of your choosing.
To get approval for the Self-Designed Industry Focus Area, you must first submit a proposal to the BIPS Program Director. Your proposal must meet the following criteria:
- The four courses must fit together to form a coherent plan of study. These could be courses you have already taken, courses you plan to take, or a combination of the two.
- The courses must develop or enhance your skill set to meet your desired learning outcomes.
- Only courses with grades of “C” or better will be used to meet focus area requirements.
Tips for Getting Started
- The Integrated Professional Studies (IPS) courses are seven weeks long. Most courses outside of IPS are 14 weeks long.
- If you want to propose a Self-Designed Industry Area of Focus, identify the courses you want to propose and make sure they meet the criteria above. Then call (336.315.7044) or email the BIPS Advisor/Coach to discuss a customized plan.
- Search the entire UNCG course offerings in UNCG Genie for course dates and availability.
- You have the option of choosing four courses from the Preapproved Course List as your industry focus area. For example, you might choose each of the four IPS Trends and Issues courses to get an overview of each industry. If you choose all four courses from the Preapproved Course List, you do not need to get approval.