Global Awareness & Intercultural Competence (IPS 305)
TBD TBD TBD
- Examine multiple dimensions of diversity, culture, and identity from a critical perspective.
- Describe and analyze global issues.
- Compare and contrast ethical perspectives and the relationship to human rights and justice.
- Apply key strategies for engaging in intercultural interactions.
- Coates, T-N. (2015). Between the world and me. New York: Spiegle & Grau.
- hooks, bell (2009). Belonging: A culture of place. NY: Routledge.
- Novogratz, J. (2009). The blue sweater: Bridging the gap between rich and poor in an interconnected world. New York: MacMillan.
- Sisneros, J., Stakeman, C., Joyner, M. & Schmitz, C. L. (2008). Critical multicultural social work. Chicago, IL: Lyceum Books, Inc.
- Yousafzai, M. & Lamb, C. (2013). I am Malala: The girl who stood up for education and was shot by the Taliban. New York: Little, Brown, & Company.
- Week 1: Culture, Worldview, and Identity
- Week 2: Social Construction in a Global Context
- Week 3: Critical Perspectives on Culture
- Week 4: Multiple Voices: Similarities and Differences
- Week 5: Building Community: Theory to Practice
- Week 6: Bringing it All Together: Bridging the Cultural Gap
- Week 7: Commitments to Change
Other BIPS Core Courses
You will develop key skills through the core courses of the BIPS program. These courses build on each other, teaching you how to identify patterns, interpret data, work with others to solve problems, and make informed decisions — skills that will help you in any career.
Design Thinking (IPS 301)
Systems Thinking (IPS 302)
Understanding Data (IPS 303)
Contemporary Media Literacies (IPS 304)
Self-Awareness (IPS 306)
All the details. All in one place.